Saturday 9 January 2010

   Husband has gone over to visit his parents.  They only live an hour away from us so he will be spending the night at home, weather conditions permitting.  Because it is likely to snow again today.  A bloody nuisance, although I thank God for Wellies.  Last year, I didn't have any suitable shoes so I petrified to step outside lest I left my neck on some slippery pavement somewhere.

   I'm getting sick and tired of the snow though, even if it's been nice having the Husband at home and listening to him working next door.  The downside of that is that it had thrown my schedule a little off key.  Lunch together, walks that he likes to takes with me, and just spending some time together.  The snow has been like a holiday to him.  So when he asked me earlier on whether I wanted to come with him to his parents, I said no.

   Firstly because with him out, I have the opportunity to update my blog, work on more product development, and I had the bright idea this morning to have a go at writing a play.  So I thought it would be good while he is at his parents to start on it without any interruption.  Plus I need to do some housework. 

   The place is a complete mess, but there is no point in doing any housework when the Husband is home.  The place soon ends up looking like a bomb site.  I have spoken about this to other friends of mine who've said the same thing.  So the Husband is not really to blame.  It is one of those things.

   There is also another reason why I said no to the Husband.  First of all, for the duration of our stay there, I will feel that I'm wasting valuable time.  Time which could be best used for useful pursuits (cf above paragraph).  Second of all, while I will have a wonderful hour with the Husband driving there, at the back of my mind, I will be aware that the fun will come to an end once we park in front of his parents' house.

   we will be offered tea, we will talk or rather they will provide us with the latest instalment in the lives of one of his siblings, cousins, etc.  We will take our drinks into the living room where the TV will be put on.  Perhaps his mother will talk about the bargains at Primark, or at some supermarket, before telling me (or is it asking me?  I can never be sure) to come over next time and do my shopping there.

   I usually say yes and once or twice, to please her, but to please the Husband even more, I had done it.  With no enjoyment.  The thing is, I know that she is trying to be like a mother to me, mine being so far away.  But as I tell the Husband, my mother wouldn't be so suffocating.  Of course, I don't put it in such harsh term but it is the gist of it.

   I can't help getting the impression that she would likeme to adopt those past times, but really window-shopping, or shopping for that matter, is not my thing.  I can never buy anything for starters, nor can she because her husband, my father-in-law will want detailed accounts, so she does the next best thing: window shopping.  But on those occasions when we have talked, deeply (?), I have told her how I would prefer a good magazine to wasting my time thus.  But I think there is this need in her to make me accepting of my station: I'm a housewife, so I should be accepting of what the Husband gives me (and the Husband is not stingy, but when one doesn't have a lot of money?) and make do.  Besides, one has to have some fun, right?  Her reasoning, not mine.

   And this is where my thinking, and my mother-in-law's thinking differ.  She is the type of person who says "this is my lot, I'd better make do with it", but that is not my thinking.  I'm in the business of bettering my life, so I can't afford to squander precious minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment